Saturday, March 14, 2015

     
Hey guys!!!

     Our first destination today was to Latia Agripreneurs, where they teach local farmers how to better plant their crops, manage their livestock, and help to sustain their local community with fresh produce. We were able to take a guided tour around their facility, fields, and livestock area. It is a beautiful place to visit. It was amazing to see how much ingenuity goes into planning and harvesting their produce. This was an inspiring place to visit because they even offer overnight stay to the trainees to help complete their learning.


          We also went to Kibera today, one of the largest slums in Africa. We first visited a local school where the kids sang songs and recited poems. They were so happy to see us. Some remembered us from the giraffe sanctuary and came running up to meet us. We then went on two house calls to provide medical care. We separated into two groups, one seeing a child and the second group seeing a husband and wife; both families had very different needs. We were in the group that saw the family. This family had been in a car accident. The husband sustained a right below the knee amputation. The wife had been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre, and had residual muscle aches and weakness, where she felt pain when she tried to squat. We did a thorough bilateral knee assessment on her and actually found that her bilateral quadriceps muscles were very tight. Beth, a Physical Medicine and Rehab Physician helped us teach her how to do exercises to stretch those muscles. The woman found them very helpful. She enjoyed them and we all joined in to do the stretching as well. Can you imagine?! It was so awesome! 12 of us in a small one unit living space bending over to stretch our quads. The husband wanted us to examine his stump; Robb a general surgeon examined and palpated this gentleman's leg and found it to be healing nicely. We plan to see them again to follow up next week.


      The conditions that we saw were improvements from Hope Without Border's visit last year. We had a less difficult time getting into the slums to make the visits. With this being said there are still great needs in the slums. The president is building new living places, but some people that reside in the slums cannot afford to move into those new places. We can only hope that the conditions continue to improve, although it may take some time.


 Latia & Kibera

      Overall today's experience left me confused about my emotions. I first felt shocked about all of the people and the conditions that I saw. It was almost surreal to me because living in America, maybe I could not grasp that this actually went on in other places in the world. I then felt ashamed of everything that I often take for granted that I am fortunate to have. I was so amazed by all of the smiling, loving and happy faces that I met today. I have a new perspective on life and I feel like all of the senseless things I worry about so much back home are a waste of my energy. I know that I am only here for a short amount of time but I hope to empower the Kenyan people and do the most good that I possibly can... and honestly I feel like I am getting so much more from them than I could ever do for or give to them... ~Tommi :o)

I feel hopeful that although these children live in unsafe and unsanitary conditions, that they are still able to play and laugh and smile each day. I was really impressed that the teachers are strictly volunteers and that they care so much to look after and care for the children all for free. I am glad to hear that the improvements on the roads and sewer systems have made it safer and cleaner environments of these families. -Jessica

Tomorrow we will be heading on a boat to see some hippos and church :o) See ya then!

Jessica F. & Tomisha B.

No comments:

Post a Comment